Driver who caused crash that shut down Grove Street Monday night arrested for DUI

EUSTS, Fla.—The driver of the truck that took out an electrical pole, a fire hydrant, and shut down Grove Street for more than 10 hours Monday has been arrested for DUI.

Tyler G. Cook, 29, of Eustis, was arrested early Tuesday morning after being released from the hospital, where he refused a blood draw, according to an arrest affidavit.

Around 6:30 p.m. Monday, EPD responded to a crash one Grove Street near North Eustis Street and found a power pole lying across the road, a fire hydrant spewing water and a blue Chevy truck on its roof, with an open 18-pack of Bud Light hanging out of the rear window. An officer spoke with Cook, who admitted he was driving the truck, and he said he did not remember what happened while struggling to keep his balance and slurring his words with the smell of alcohol on his breath, the affidavit states.

As police photographed the scene, an officer observed the 18-pack of Bud Light and it only contained 11 beers, still cold to the touch. The other seven beers missing from the 18-pack were not found, but two unopened cans of Corona Extra were found in the truck.

A witness told police he noticed the blue Chevy truck swerving in and out of traffic prior to the crash. The truck cut him off and then he saw the truck having a verbal altercation with another vehicle near City Hall at Grove Street and Orange Avenue; a second witness said he observed the truck drifting around the corner near Wilt Avenue and saw the truck lose control at a “high rate of speed.” The speed limit in that area is 30 miles per hour.

Lake EMS arrived on scene and transported Cook, and his passenger, Chase Rimes, to AdventHealth Waterman in Tavares for treatment. While at the hospital, Cook was “combative” with staff and officers while handcuffed to a bed and he refused a blood draw, the affidavit states. Officers informed Cook they were conducting a DUI investigation and he refused to answer questions while trying to “entice” an officer into a verbal altercation. He spilled a cup of urine and continued to slur his words while being combative.

Rimes, his passenger, told police Cook popped the clutch on the truck and “took off.” He lost control and struck the curb while trying to correct the vehicle. He said he did not believe Cook was drunk at the time of the crash, but it was unusual for him to slur his words and be combative, and agreed that he was driving carelessly, the affidavit states.

Cook was released from AdventHealth Waterman and transported to the Lake County Jail, where he refused a breath test. The officer who was attempting to conduct the breath test noted he could still smell alcohol on his breath, nearly eight hours after the crash.

Cook was arrested for DUI with property damage and released on $1,000 bond late Tuesday morning.

Previous story: Truck takes out electrical pole, fire hydrant, flips over and shuts down Grove Street in Eustis Monday night – Inside Lake

Scroll to Top

No Paywalls

Local journalism is more important than ever before and we are dedicated to the health and vibrancy of our community. Your support helps us maintain our independence and our ability to report the news without bias or influence.

You can show your support by advertising, email us at [email protected] or by donating at PayPal